The Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) is the central office that administers the application and offer process for places in tertiary courses at university, TAFE and independent tertiary colleges in Victoria (and a few outside Victoria).

VTAC receives and forwards application information and supporting documentation to the course selection authorities at institutions.

VTAC is not a selection authority, does not determine the selection criteria used by institutions and does not decide who will receive an offer. All decisions about which applicants are offered a place are made by the course selection authorities at institutions.

After selection decisions have been made by the course authorities at institutions, VTAC sends offer letters to successful applicants on the institutions’ behalf.

VTAC also:

  • calculates and issues the ATAR (previously known as the ENTER) for VCE students;
  • co-ordinates sittings for STAT and DULSAT admissions tests;
  • administers the application process for the Special Entry Access Scheme;
  • administers the application process for some institutional Scholarships;
  • provides telephone and online information and enquiry services for applicants;
  • publishes a range of guides to tertiary study;
  • conducts information sessions for secondary school students and their parents, careers teachers and adults returning to study.

VTAC is not a government body – it is funded by participating institutions and processing fees paid by applicants.

52 replies

  1. Should a CY12 who has completed Cert III studies be making a claim for this in their application? What about a student who has completed Cert IV studies? Also, can a student re-enter their application and change these details or is it too late to make corrections once submitted

    • If the Certificate was completed as part of their VCE or VCAL program, they don’t need to claim it as it will be included with their VCAA information. If it was completed outside the VCE or VCAL, they should definitely claim it. Yes, an applicant can add and change study claims on MyInfo after submitting an application.

  2. How does a student change his initial application to now include his VET certificate which he left off inadvertently?

    • Marian, generally we match current and previous studies based on the student’s identification number. Please ask the student to contact our customer service department on 1300 364 133 to confirm that all details provided are correct.

  3. I was wondering if you defer your offer that you recieved through vtac, can you defer another offer you recieved through another tertiary admissions centre i.e theUAC ?

  4. Hi, I was wondering if you have an conversion table for CIE A-level results. Furthermore I was wondering if you will accept CIE A levels completed in different academic years together to form the final ATAR.

    Thank you very much.

    • Hi Lincoln,
      Your A levels will not be converted into an ATAR. If you have a minimum of three A levels VTAC will let institutions know that you meet minimum tertiary entrance requirements in Victoria. They will then decide themselves if they want to accept you. It doesn’t matter if your A levels were not done in the same year. See http://www.vtac.edu.au/who/osquals.html for more information.

  5. I have deferred from Commerce at Monash for 2012, I now want to change my preference to Engineering at Monash for 2013. What do O need to do for this. Thanks Mitch

    • Hi Kim
      The first thing I’d do is give Monash a call to see if there is an internal transfer process. If not, then you will have to apply for the Engineering course through VTAC. Good luck.

  6. Hi, I am just completing the academic record for my VTAC application. When it prompts me to enter my candidate number for CIE exams it says “i.e. N12/3456”. What does N12 stand for? My center number is NZ033, do I just put N33?

  7. Hi,
    You are correct, the prefix represents your centre number and after that is your student number. NZ33 or N33 followed by a slash and your student number would both be acceptable.

  8. Hi.
    I am currently completing NZ A levels. Apart from a certified photocopy of my passport should I also send in my CIE results? I have already completed an A-level subject last year along with 4 other AS level subjects. Would sending last year’s certificate be enough right now (Evidence of minimum English requirement is also on this certificate)? Do I need to send in my IGCSE certificates? And is there any other documents I am required to send in?

  9. Hi VTAC team (big hello David and Suzanne),

    Just an idea – could you perhaps do a Post/Daily Digest on alternative payment options for applicants without a credit or debit card ? I believe your advice would be to use a prepaid card(Load and Go card) from Australia Post. Have rung VTAC for a student (thanks Jonathon) and got this great advice and distributed to our staff…. but this info very relevant to all applicants especially Yr 12 students who might not have a card, parents don’t have a card or are independent. Loving the Daily Digest – this is such a great idea and timely reminders are very useful and great to forward to our students or letting them know to register and get posts themselves! 🙂
    Many thanks, Marla

    • Dear Chris’ mum
      The GAT permissions is available in your son’s VTAC User Account, under the section called Course Application – Participating permissions.

  10. It says earlier that A levels will not be converted to an ATAR score. does this mean that I will not be able to get a 99.90 and subsequently will not be eligible for the chancellor’s scholars program at the University of Melbourne?

    • VTAC does not convert overseas secondary qualifications into ATAR’s. We do however pass on your transcripts of results to the selection officers at the tertiary institutions in your preference list for assessment. The selection officers will be the ones who will decide your eligibility.

  11. Hi,

    I’m trying to apply for a VTAC, and I’m up to the part where it asks if you’ve studied year 12 inter sate. I finished year 12 in SA and the example is SA/NT 989844X – but I have no idea what that is referring to, is it meaning my SATAC number?

  12. Hi, i am a Non Year 12 student applying for a course at a new university. Do i need to submit my academic transcript that i received from my previous university, if so, how do i go about doing this? i only have a hard copy of my transcript. thanks

  13. Hello,
    I am currently doing my A levels and I am wondering how my grades will be converted into ATAR. What requirements are needed to study business or law?

  14. HI,
    I have been accepted into a course at Victoria University but am from Queensland and do not know how to defer my offer. How is this done?

    • Hi Savannah,

      Congratulations on receiving your offer. To defer your place you need to so in consultation with the faculty, which has made you an offer. Not all institutions allow deferment so to find out if it is possible and what you need to do to defer, you should check with Victoria University.

      Best Wishes,

  15. If I am a domestic student studying A Levels overseas, should I apply through VTAC or direct to the University? I’m thinking The University of Melbourne or Monash.

    • Hi,

      You can apply for courses through VTAC if you are:

      • an Australian citizen

      • an Australian permanent resident

      • a New Zealand citizen

      • a temporary resident or someone planning to obtain a student visa who is currently studying an Australian Year 12 (in Australia or overseas)* or International Baccalaureate in Australia or New Zealand. *For example: VCE, VCAL, HSC, NTCE, QLD Senior Certificate, SACE, TCE, WACE

      • an international student currently enrolled at The University of Melbourne applying to transfer to another course at The University of Melbourne

      • a temporary resident or someone who is planning to obtain a student visa who is currently studying or has finished the NCEA in New Zealand with no tertiary studies applying to Monash University


  16. Hi, during VTAC account registration I was asked for the candidate number. Where do i find my candidate number. I am currently doing yr 12

    • Hi Seb,

      The registration will ask for a candidate number if you tick yes to studying the International Baccalaureate (IB). If you are studying the IB you should be able to request these details from your school. If you are not studying the IB then you tick no to that question and you will not need to provide a candidate number.


  17. Hi,

    I completed year 12 in 2012 and in the time since then I have deferred from the original course I was accepted into, withdrawn my placement in that course at the end of my deferment and I am currently in the process of applying for a different course at the same university to be commenced in Semester 1, 2015. I have applied for the new course via VTAC but was just wondering when/where or if I need to submit a copy of my ATAR results from 2012.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    • Hi Tegan, You don’t need to supply your ATAR from 2012, as long as you ‘claim’ your secondary studies on your application, VTAC can match your ATAR to your application.

  18. hi
    I have asses my overseas degree from QLD but in want admission in VIC so Is I have to access my degree again in VIC

    • Hi Nisha,

      If you are considering applying for tertiary courses in Victoria and would like further information regarding applying and claiming your overseas qualifications, it’s best to give us a call on 1300 364 133 so we can advise you on the application process through VTAC.

    • Hi Sandra, interstate students register for a VTAC user account and during the registration process include their student number so that their interstate results can be accessed electronically.

  19. I did a year 12 subject last year and applied for vtac registration and got an id. This year I am also doing year 12 subjects and when I applied for a vtac registration, I got a different vtac id, is this supposed to happen ?

    • Hi Sam, this is correct. Any registration details you had from last year will be removed from the VTAC system. For privacy reasons we can no longer use your student ID as your VTAC ID, so that is why you received a new VTAC ID when you registered this year.

  20. Hi, I’m not sure if this is the same as Sam’s question but is my vtac id meant to be the same as my student number? when I applied it was different to my student number?

    • Hi Sharon, if you’re currently studying Year 12, you will need to include your VCE student number (or VCAA number, depending on what you call it) as part of your registration. It won’t let you progress without including it. If you are not currently studying Year 12, just include the year you finished, the school you attended and we can access that information electronically. You will then be allocated a VTAC ID (eight digits and a letter). In the past this has been the same as the VCE student number, but this has changed for privacy reasons so you will be given a VTAC ID upon registration.

  21. Hi,
    I completed the IB but it only allows me to type in a 6 digit candidate number. Does this mean I only put my school’s number (the first six digits of a candidate number)?

    • Hi Kim,

      Your IB candidate number is six digits – three letters followed by three numbers, e.g. abc123. This is different from the longer session number which you will be using for your exams. If you don’t know your candidate number, your IB Coordinator should be able to help you out.


  22. Hi,

    I am doing my A-level in England and got my predicted grade. Can I apply now with my AS grades or should I wait until I get my A-level results? Thanks

    • Hi Lynn,

      Although your AS grades do not yet meet Tertiary Entrance Requirements, you can submit an application now, and then add your A-level results when they are available.


  23. Hi, I am a year 11 student and have completed a year 12 subject this year. Am I required to register to VTAC? And by doing so, do I get a PIN?
    Thank you.

  24. Hi,

    I am a Y12 applicant who completed the IB back in May/June, and I would like to know if I am still required to mail my results to VTAC? I have already told my school to release my results to VTAC and I have given my candidate number in the course application. Also, what should the supporting documents consist of?

    • Hi Stan,

      If you’ve listed your IB study on your VTAC application, you only need to provide results if we send you a message saying that we are unable to retrieve them. In most cases this is not required.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s