What are ‘Minimum Tertiary Entrance Requirements’?

You may receive an email from VTAC advising of minimum tertiary entrance requirements.

If you’re not sure what this means, don’t panic. Here’s a checklist for what to do next to make sure you meet tertiary, institutional and course requirements:

•   Add all your previous study claims. To add educational study claims you need to login to your VTAC Account and go to Course Application > Educational history and assessments > Add claim to the relevant area.

•   Supply any necessary supporting documents to verify studies that you have already claimed.  If you need to supply them, be sure to provide them prior to the documentation closing date.

•   Make sure you’ve met the selection criteria – check if you need to attend interviews, auditions, or present a folio. Do this by checking selection requirements and additional considerations using CourseSearch.

•   Check if your work or life experiences will be considered in selection. Search for your preferences using CourseSearch and check selection criteria and additional requirements to see if a Personal Statement is considered. You must submit a Personal Statement online if you wish other information to be considered.

•   Check if you’re required to sit an admissions test such as the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) or if you’re applying to Law at Deakin University in certain circumstances, the ALSET. If you are required to sit an admissions test you need to book through your VTAC Account using the Admissions Tests booking link. (But don’t book unless you’re absolutely certain you need to sit – fees are not refundable once booked.)

•  Explore and maximise your options. Add pathways courses that articulate into your dream course (e.g. a Certificate IV that gives you credit into a Diploma or a Bachelor Degree). There are no set minimum tertiary entrance requirements for non-year 12 applicants, if you are applying for a Certificate I, Certificate II, Certificate III, Certificate IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma.

Note: Institutional and Course selection criteria still apply. Some Higher Education courses may offer exemptions or credit based on completing relevant certificates or diplomas. If this is an option you would like to take you may want to consider adding additional course preferences to your application. General information can be found in our Pathways, Credit Transfer and RPL Fact Sheet. Check the institutions you’re applying to, specific information about their pathway courses.

Categories: Applying

Tagged as: , ,

2 replies

  1. Hi do all crack applicant have to upload supporting documents to support study claims or only if you receive an email requesting documents be uploaded?

    • Hi Taylah,

      You only need to provide supporting documents if you were advised to do so during the application process (this will be reflected in your application receipt email too), or if you received a subsequent email from VTAC stating that we were unable to retrieve your results electronically.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s