Change of Preference: your questions answered

How does Change of Preference work?

Change of Preference will reopen after each offer round, and close before the next one (until the last round). While Change of Preference is open, you can add, remove, and reorder your preferences as many times as you like from the ‘Course Application’ tab of the VTAC user account.

How do I find the change of preference closing dates for each offer round?

Change of Preference opening and closing dates are listed on the Dates and Fees page of the VTAC website.

Can I change my course preferences after Round 1 offers are released?

Yes, all applicants can change their preferences between offer rounds. The deadline for each offer round can be found on the Dates and Fees page of the VTAC website.

What are my chances of getting an offer after Round 1?

This depends on each course’s selection process, so there is no certain answer to this question. In most years, the vast majority of offers were made in the first round. For example, in 2014-15, the number of Round 1 undergraduate offers was 69,337, with an additional 3,602 offers being made in Round 2.

However, if you want to change your preference to see what else you may be eligible for, the choice is yours. As long as you accept your Round 1 offer by enrolling, you won’t lose your existing offer and there are no additional charges for changing your preferences.

Will all courses participate in offer rounds after Round 1 in January?

Courses are not required to participate in future offer rounds.

A course that I want to add to my preferences has selection requirements, such as an interview or folio submission. Can I still add it to my course preferences?

When you add a course to your course preferences, you must always ensure that you’ve met the prerequisites and selection requirements for that course. If the course you want to add has selection requirements, contact the institution directly as they may be prepared to allow you to fulfil the requirements before the next round of offers.

I didn’t get an offer. Should I change my preferences?

If you don’t get an offer, you have two options:

• Wait to see if you receive an offer in a subsequent offer round for your existing course preferences. You will be automatically reconsidered for all of your preferences in the next round.
  • Or, change your preferences by adding, deleting or re-ordering your course preferences for the next offer round.

Whichever option you choose, you remain eligible to receive supplementary offers (after round 2) as long as you haven’t received any other offer.

If I get an offer can I still change my preferences?

Yes, you can still change your preferences before the next round. Just make sure that you meet the prerequisites and have completed any selection requirements outlined in the course entry.

I received an offer for my first preference. Can I still change my preferences?

If you get your first preference in an offer round, congratulations. If you want to change your preferences and see if you get an offer for one of the other courses included on your preference list or maybe add a new course, simply move your offered course to the bottom of your preference list.

That way, institutions will know to consider your course application in subsequent rounds.

Remember that you are not guaranteed to get an offer in any subsequent rounds, so make sure you follow the enrolment instructions available from your VTAC user account by the deadline specified in the offer message.

Will accepting my offer lock me out of changing my preferences in future rounds?

No. You can change your preferences as many times as you like, irrespective of whether or not you have already received an offer and enrolled or not.

If you have enrolled in a course and receive an offer you prefer in a subsequent offer round, all you need to do is contact the institution at which you have enrolled to withdraw.

I didn’t get an offer. Am I still eligible to receive a supplementary offer after round two?

Yes. If you haven’t received an offer and have given VTAC permission to circulate your details to courses with vacancies, you will be eligible to receive a supplementary offer. At the same time, you can also reconsider your course preferences and add, delete or re-order your course preferences for the next offer round.

You can update your supplementary offer permission from the ‘Course offers’ tab of the VTAC user account.

Can I still put in a negotiated offer?

Negotiated offers have been replaced with rolling change of preference. Instead of only being able to list one course on your negotiated offer application, you can simply add, delete or move your course preferences around for the next offer round.

Just make sure that you meet the prerequisites and have completed any selection requirements outlined in the course entry.

How do I know which courses are still going to make offers in future rounds?

After Round 1 offers in January, institutions are able but not obliged to participate in subsequent offer rounds. To assist you in making change of preference decisions, courses which know in advance that they are unlikely to make further offers can indicate this, and these courses will be shown in red on your preferences list in the user account. Such courses cannot be re-added if they are removed from your preferences list.

As there is no way to predetermine which courses will and will not be participating in subsequent offer rounds you shouldn’t wait for the results of future offer rounds before you enrol to accept your current offer.

Categories: Change of Preference

Tagged as: , , ,

3 replies

1. I am a Australia PR taking A level in Singapore. The A level result will only be released during first week of March. Should I re-enrol as an international student since I will miss second round of offer for domestic students? Please kindly revert.

2. Hi Ace,

The offer rounds will be finished by March, so your A level results will not be available in time for this offer cycle. You can apply for mid-year entry from mid-April this year.

Regards,
    VTAC